Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Parsnip anyone?

Even though I don't always win the battle, I am still (slowly) continuing to try to live a greener lifestyle. Sometimes I don't really know where that's going to take me until I'm there. And this time "there" means a refrigerator full of parsnips. Well, parsnips, and onions, and potatoes, and carrots, and turnips, and mushrooms.

I switched our biweekly box to the "Dogma" box which is all grown locally and organically. No, it's still not a CSA, but I think it's still comparable. I'm not getting all of my veggies from one farm that I'm supporting, but I'm buying from several local farms at once. And, best part, it's delivered to my house. They would even put it in my refrigerator for me, but then they'd get a view of all my leftovers I haven't cleaned out in forever, so I'd rather they not.

Anyway, local means in season, or at least something that stores well. Hence I have root crops. I'm going to have to look into the mushrooms, I wouldn't have expected them right now. Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with it all. I think I'm going to have to cook for the week tomorrow. I don't think I've ever cooked a parsnip before, so this is going to be interesting. Any ideas?

No comments: