Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Why am am I on the couch?

The sky is actually blue outside today in Dublin. I can tell because I opened one of the curtains to check. Originally I'd planned on going to visit Dublin Castle today, but for some reason, I'm still sitting on the couch.

True, I've been fighting off a cold. This weekend Gerd and I went over to Galway to see the Cliffs of Moher, and on the way I made him walk out to the coast with me, even though it was about a mile, freezing rain, and slippery rock the whole way. I was prefectly fine when we made it to the cliffs (they look like the edge of the world, by the way) but on the way to our hotel I started to feel horrible.

Now, I'll try not to get too graphic, but this is relevant. I started my period, as expected, except I was wondering if I was going to start it after all. I'd been on and off spotting for a week before Aund Flo was due, had midcycle bleeding before that. So things weren't all right in the normal scheme of things.

By the time Gerd got me home, driving 100 km/hr down narrow, winding, BUMPY roads I had cramps so bad they almost doubled me over. When we got home I took too asperin, took a very long hot shower, changed out the necessary "paperwork" and watched some Irish TV for an hour. It was time to join friends of his for a night on the town, and by then I was back in good form, or at least good enough form to enjoy some traditional Irish music at a local pub.

I should mention that I hadn't really been drinking up until now, primarily because I don't drink much, but also because I was a bit freaked out about the strange goings ons of my nether region. I didn't think I was pregnant, but not altogether sure I wasn't either, at least until my temperature dove and I started really bleeding. Anyway, so I thought that finally I could have a drink and feel secure that I wouldn't be spawning alcoholic children, but the taste made me nautious. I must have ordered 4 drinks, but taken no more than a sip or two of each one, then passing it off to Gerd (who became quite intoxicated).

So by the next morning I thought I knew the schpeel. I've had periods for ages, I know what to expect, but I didn't expect this. (Sorry, this is where it gets graphic) Massive, I mean massive blood clots the size of an orange. Bleeding that went through all barriers in 30 minutes. And then, 2 hours later, it stopped.

No more blood. No more period, and a day set to see the hills of Connemarra. We spent another 5 hours driving through country backroads, which took all day because I made Gerd stop to buy sweaters for my step-father and mother and we had to stop off for lunch. Of course, the first thing I did when we arrived back in Dublin was google my feminine trouble with very little information found.

I hate that about the internet. You can find out your breasts are sore because of PMS or because you're pregnant. You're bleeding heavily because of cysts or aging, or miscarraige. If you want to be pregnant or hope you're not pregnant you can find evidence about your body that supports either side of the coin. Fortunately I have an appointment already scheduled with my OB/GYN next week, but it's not exactly something she can post-diagnose.

On Monday I gave myself the day off. In taking the day off I noticed that I had a cold. I often get colds around my period, I think because my immune system is challanged enough at the time, so it's typical that I get a soar throat for a day or so. I'm sure Galway didn't exactly help. Of course I'm in Ireland, so I can't find Mucinex here, which is my typical standby, so Gerd buys me something I don't know how to pronounce that isn't supposed to make me drowsy.

In fact, I'm not drowsy, instead last night I found I couldn't sleep. I couldn't sleep, but I was dizzy and unfocused.

I woke up late today, around 10, and still a little groggy. I had planned on going into town today, and my throat feels tons better. But I can't get off the couch. I'm not hungry. I've searched for jobs in Boston, New Mexico, and Dublin today, for both myself and Gerd. I've looked at houses, and cars, and furniture. I even ventured into paint hues for a nursery, not that I need it right now. To make that even more clear I started bleeding again.

I really should go out and see the city. We leave tomorrow, thank goodness I want to be home. I just home I don't want to stick around that couch too.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

All cold and allergy medicines muck with my brain. Including/especially the ones labeled "non-drowsy". I tried Allegra or maybe it was Claritin at one point (one of those formerly prescription, now super expensive OTC ones), and I could barely pry my eyes open. Sudafed is about the least disruptive, but it does almost diddly-sqaut unless my only symptom is a sinus headache (and as I normally take it with iburprofin, the sudafed is likely not helping much).

In any case, I hope you feel better soon! Feminine troubles are the biggest pain (I had periods every 2 weeks for like 5 days at a time for a while after Trystan....lasted for like 4 months that way....). Add a cold to it, and, well, I hope Gerd is both tough enough to handle the grumpiness and cuddly enough to snuggle with!

Bethany said...

Gerd and I both agree, one of the most annoying things about living in a different country is the change of medicine. I can't even find plain aspirin here, although I've heard it exists. I wanted Motrin, but the closest thing I can find is called Solpadine whose active ingredient is paracetamol.

It's particularly tough on Gerd who has extreme excema (so bad he didn't have to serve in the East German army) and he has to try new medications every time he moves. The prescriptions in Germany are different than in Ireland, and likewise different in the states.

AND, of course the only time you're trying to get medicine is when you already don't feel good, so now you feel crummy and don't know what to take to get better. I guess that's why experts always recommend that bring stuff with you when traveling for long periods of time. But who's got room in their luggage for all the possible ailments you might encounter overseas?