Friday, January 30, 2009

I Have Skinny Pants

I've never had skinny pants before. Skinny pants are those pair of pants you can't fit into anymore because you've gained weight, but you keep around because you're hoping to loose weight. I've always been skinny, or at least thin, so I've never had them. In college I could still fit into a pair of jeans I had in middle school. Okay, they were tight, but I could still put them on...

After college I gained about 5 pounds. That's right, that's all I gained. When I hit 30 everyone told me I was in for some trouble because that's when people's metabolisms change. Around 31 I felt fortunate, because I was still a size 4/6 (although more on the 6 side of things). Not bad for over 30 right? But 32 and 33 kicked my butt.

Because I got deployed right before winter, I didn't pull out my winter clothes from 2 years ago until recently. I was wearing uniforms all the time, so why would I bother with semi-professional dress when I could just wear jeans in my off time? To my unfortunate surprise, everything was a little tight. It's been getting even tighter over the past month.

I've gone up to wearing an 8! An 8 I tell you!!!! Now, I'm not saying I'm fat, because I'm far from fat, but I have to admit, I'm just not skinny anymore. I'm about 15 pounds heavier than my ideal weight, which isn't the end of the world, but is shocking never the less.

Keep in mind I started to gain this weight while I was on active duty, exercising regularly. Now that I'm an unemployed slug I haven't gone running since...well, the Army.

I did a series of crunches this morning, and while running is completely out of the question for me until the winter sludge goes away (Boston has some serious drainage problems) I'm planning on skiing this weekend to get a little more active. But I've got to say, I might actually have to...diet.

Yesterday's food intake breaks down like this... Before you say, gasp, no wonder you're gaining weight, keep in mind that two years ago I could double this and still loose weight.

Breakfast: 1 piece leftover pizza
Snack 1: 3 peanut butter cookies and a glass of milk (whole milk)
Snack 2 (in place of lunch): 1 Snickers bar (almond..yum)
Snack 3: one cup of grapes
Dinner: Bowl of Kitcheri (see I eat healthy sometimes) with a glass of milk (whole milk)
Dessert: 1 peanut butter cookie

No doubt I can improve my eating habits, but calorie-wise, I don't think I ate that much. The pizza had carbs, but the cookies and snickers were just plain sugar. Or not, I'm not sure about peanut butter cookies, they have flour and peanut butter...I wonder where that falls?

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Hah. I'm not quite laughing maniacally and dancing around the room (think my coworkers would call security...) But I remember holding up one of your skirts once thinking it might fit...on one of my legs! Ok, all fun aside, I feel your pain!

Weight management is a pain in the cellulite, isn't it? I seem to have fixed lower limit on weight that I can't breach without serious intestinal illness...and the last time I had something like that was when I was actually pregnant (like 6 weeks along) with Trystan (Charlotte brough home a stomach bug, and spread it all over me...). My lowest recorded weight over the past 10 years was while pregnant. (and I suspect that that little episode contributed to his issues).

I have no good advice. I've never been able to stick to a diet, and the best I've done calorie wise is to mostly give up soda, and switch most of our carbs to whole grains (we buy oatmeal at Sam's in our house...). I'm a chocoholic, and am kind of looking forward to Lent. I've been exercising a lot lately (between our Fit, and a step class at the Y), but my weight hasn't changed (though the bathroom scale thinks my body fat % has gone down a tiny bit). Maybe if I have some incentive to give up my favorite treat....of course, in the mean time I've got only 3 weeks to eat the rest of the chocolate in the house....

Bethany said...

Yeah, thanks for not laughing hysterically :) I know I was thin. Remember Erin? In college I lent her a dress. She'd been dieting for a long time and told me she felt like she'd finally reached her limit because she could fit into my clothing. A year later I came to get my dress back and she never talked to me again. I always figured I'd taken away her prize...but it was mine (and a favorite too) and I wore it several times after that.

Now what to do? I'm about to give up sugar for a month and hope that will help, if nothing else at least with my health. I can't seem to make yoga classes, but I'm determined to work out some routine soon. I have a feeling I'm just going to be a bit heavier...it was bound to happen sometime.