Monday, February 2, 2009

14 Children

So a woman has 8 children from IVF although she lives with her PARENTS with her *6* other kids, doesn't have a job or source of income, and says she plans on making millions by talking on the Oprah Winfrey show.

I don't know what should happen here. If I were Oprah Winfrey I sure wouldn't give her an interview. I'd deliberately snub her for her irresponsibility.

But the question is, who's going to support this woman? Is there some private organization that will donate a house, food, diapers, clothes and toys? The previous octuplets had a 5 bedroom house donated by Fannie May, but there were no previous children, and the company was doing a whole lot better back then.

And there's also the medical side of things. These types of procedures are typically not covered by insurance. How the heck did an unworking mother pay for IVF? Even with a sperm donor an IVF cycle can cost $10,000- $20,000. Those babies are going to need a bunch of check-ups too.

If there isn't a group that's willing to step in and help, what will happen to these babies? If the mother can't afford her children will the foster system step in and take them away? I think it would be pretty horrible for her if in trying to have more children she lost all of her children.

I understand, once you have 8 living embryos in your body, believing that you shouldn't abort some. It's a matter of your view on life and when it begins, and although I don't particularly agree with the view (particularly as early as blasts attaching to the uteris), I know I've been an avid believer in pro-life principles in the past.

What I don't understand is if she made any arrangements ahead of time to receive help or if she just assumed that her popularity would provide for her children. If I ended up in that situation, although I wouldn't, because I don't already have 6 children, I would either have kept a smaller number of embryos or found adoptive homes for some of the children. Surely she must have known public sentiment would not be in her favor on this.

But there's something is fishy about this whole story, including the number of embryos implanted. I suppose it's possible that they implanted 4 and every one split. That wouldn't sound too extreme if they were older frozen blasts that didn't have a good chance for survival. Still, even 4 would be a lot. The excuse that she didn't want to destroy the blasts is complete horse shit because there are many ways to donate embryos or set up embryotic adoption.

I came within one month of an embryotic adoption. I actually paid the fees for an embryotic match at embryosalive.com, but my doctor wanted to use donated embryos from his clinic instead. I found a donor, I went through preliminary tests, but there was concern that I might have a heart shaped uteris. Another test was ordered that I needed to wait an additional month for. I had to schedule a test within a three day period and missed the test date, so I had to wait another month. That's when the Army told me I was likely to go to Afghanistan. I worked out a deal to come to Boston and saw a clinic here. If I hadn't met Gerd I would probably be a mother by now.

I suppose that's why I must care about this topic as much as I do. People are irresponsible all the time. People do stupid things all the time. I mean, that's why the Darwin Awards were created right? I just hope those babies have a safe, happy upbringing, wherever they grow up.

1 comment:

BriteLady said...

Something is definitely fishy about that whole story. For some people (my SIL and BIL, for example), health insurance will pay for a limited number of fertility treatments. But if she's got 6 kids (assuming they're hers biologically), what doctor would diagnose her with infertility? And banking on Oprah is like how I bank on finding a winnign lottery ticket laying around on the ground. Sure it could happen, but let's also think rationally, shall we.

And motherhood, should it happen, will come exactly when its supposed to and not a moment earlier. Aggravating as that seems while you're waiting (or not waiting, for those who aren't expecting it).