Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Property Manager

Instead of selling my house in New Mexico while I was away, I decided to rent it out and figure out what to do with it later. Originally I was going to sell it and buy a house in New York. When the deal in NY fell through I couldn't find another house I wanted.

Now I'm having trouble with my tenant. Up until January she paid on time and without too much trouble, but apparently things got rough for her in the mean time. She had an accident that required surgery. Her roomate left his belongings in the house but moved and didn't pay his portion of rent. She lost her job. Her other roomate lost his job.

Naturally, she got behind on rent.

I called her several times to see what was going on, but only on Monday did she finally let me know what was going on. I offered her a deal (since I'm not particularly interested in trying to find a new renter). She's already paid last month's rent (April) but she owes part of January and all of February. I offered to take her deposit as one month's rent (March) and allow her to divide the remaining amount due between the 3 remaining months or pay all up front and remain there until the end of the lease. I was clear that she would need to either move in April or re-establish a deposit on a new contract. I also gave her the number of a friend who I know is hiring for her line of work.

It's now Wednesday and I haven't heard back from her. I'm not sure if any good deed goes unpunished. If I were her, I'd be jumping at the chance, or at least explain why it wouldn't work. If she's so broke she can't pay any rent at all she's going to have to figure something out. I'm giving her until the end of the week and then I'll give her 3 days notice that I'm filing an eviction notice. I don't want to, but if she doesn't respond I still have to pay the mortgage. Plus the sooner I get her out of the apartment the sooner I can start looking for a new renter.

The irony is that I've found a house in New York I'd love to buy...but I can't because I don't have a job. Gerd's looking into it, but he's so slow at the process. I'd rather rent a house out in New York than in New Mexico, so I'd be willing to sell, except that NM is our emergency plan. If I can't find a job or if he looses his job, I still have a job waiting in New Mexico for the upcoming school year.

The New York house is a duplex, with one half already rented out. While it wouldn't pay for the entire mortgate, it would pay for 75% of the cost, and with a second renter it would earn an income. Plus, with my parents there I'd have someone to look in on the place more. And we did buy it, eventually I'd keep half unrented so that I have a place to come home to from Ireland or wherever when we visit. But, I guess I'm going to just have to let the dream go. It's so frustrating.

No comments: