Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Free Rice!

Since I can't find a job I've volunteered to work with adults in a GED prep program. In the morning I tested a 59 year old woman on her reading fluency, then worked with a single mother of 6 from Egypt. In the afternoon I worked with a group on writing a 5 paragraph essay, with varying results. All in all it was a great day, I loved it. Not everyone was on fire to learn, but they wanted to be there and were ready to work.

After working with the students the full time teacher directed me to a vocab web site he uses with his students. Okay, totally addicted. Not only do I get to practice high level vocabulary (that I thought I'd been losing) but I can practice a few German and Spanish words (not too in depth, but still fun) AND the site donates grains of rice to developing countries for every correct answer. So, basically you can feel good about all that time wasted on the computer :)

http://www.freerice.com/

No comments: