Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Trying to Pull It All Together

I substitute taught today for a few hours, which was good, because I wanted to see what 6th grade looked like. They're pretty hyper.

Because I substitute taught I was unable to volunteer for the GED program. I have mixed feelings on my morning because I was starting to make a connection with some of the students and feel bad about the randomness of my time with the class. Still, I need to figure out what to do about next year and part of that means I need to keep working in the schools. On the other hand volunteering can also make connections and if I were a reliable volunteer I could demonstrate that I'm a reliable worker.

I switched counselors this week because of our insurance plan. I didn't want to leave my last counselor, but she was out of network, which was going to add up to a bit more than I'd like to spend. Instead of continuing our regular sessions I'd been afraid to make appointments before finding out how much seeing her was going to cost. I think that while I've been mostly okay, I've been feeling the effect of not working with anyone. My first appointment is tomorrow and I'm hoping we'll work well together and that the session will help move me back in the right direction.

I've also got a job fair to go to tomorrow. There are over 30 school districts represented and with any luck I'll get a feeling for any possible teaching opportunities for the upcoming school year. I'm afraid to cross my fingers. At the same time I received my application for Colorado certification and can start working on that too. I've decided to register for the elementary MTEL test for Massachusetts certification. I can only register for one subject area and have to choose between elementary, high school language arts, middle school social studies, or middle school language arts. Hard to do when you don't know what your best bet in the current job market. Maybe I'll wait until after the job fair to make a choice.

Not a very interesting post, but that's my current update. Just trying to put the puzzle together.

No comments: