Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 2

Yesterday I started a no wheat, no sugar, no dairy diet.

I. really. really. want. a. glass. of. milk.

The idea is this: I'm a sugar addict. Deprive myself of sugar and most foods that break down into sugars to try to kick the habit. My plan is only to do this for a month and then introduce some sugars/whole wheats back into the diet.

I'm roughly following a diet a friend in New Mexico gave me that her doctor/nutritionist gave to her and also a diet from a book I've been reading about Eastern medicine. While it does have *some* sugar, overall, it's minimal.

It goes like this:

Glass of lemon water before breakfast with vitamins

Breakfast is oatmeal with unsweetened soy milk and tea

1st snack is broth and a glass of tomato juice

Lunch: Barley/Kale/Onion/ 1/2 carrot/broth/fungus (umm, yummy mushrooms) bake

2nd snack, one sliced apple

Dinner: Chicken with 1/2 cup brown rice with vegetables

Before bed tea

Tomorrow I'm having the leftover chicken for lunch and making split pea soup for dinner. I'm trying to avoid meat twice in a day but I think the amount in the soup will be small. I really don't like the broth or the vegetable juice but figure I need the nutrients so I'm forcing them down so far. I don't really miss sweets yet, just milk, cheese, and butter. I don't ever really miss bread yet (which surprises me because I've given up sugar before and that was the first thing I missed).

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Just don't forget to take extra calcium :) Osteoporosis and all that you know.

I know I would have a hard time giving up wheat-type products (bread especially), though I don't eat much "white" wheat stuff. Or at least all-white (we tend to make stuff with at least 1/2 wheat flour around here--and sometimes substitute oatmeal for some of the rest of the white flour).

I've done milk--Charlotte had horrible colic as a baby and me avoiding all dairy for nearly 6 months helped.

Bethany said...

Well, you can see how long this diet lasted...but Valentines Day in New York...It just wasn't going to happen. But I'll happily climb back on my wagon again in Boston. Tonight I noticed that my Creme Brule was a bit sweet, I'll take that as progress. Giving up wheat has been the toughest, just because it's in so many things. I can avoid sugar without too much trouble (well, okay, except tonight) but how do I avoid bread and pasta?!