Saturday, February 14, 2009

Wicked

So despite the death cold, Gerd and I booked my Christmas tickets. Over Christmas I thought that Gerd, the ultimate last minute shopper, hadn't planned out my gift. I was gladly wrong...although he did print out the IOU for Wicked tickets a few minutes before the gift giving.

I told him Valentines Day could be a good time to use them. So my gift for Valentines Day is an unusual Bed and Breakfast located on the border of Chelsea and Greenwich Village. I'm the one who found it, so I was a little concered as we climbed the stairs to our room. Genteel poverty is a word that comes to mind. Obviously the owners have a tight budget.

But, I think this place is quite a find. The room itself, or rather, apartment, was decorated by our host, an interier designer from France who took on the project for free housing and a second income. There isn't a common room or any homey atmosphere at all. Instead the "rooms" are actually small apartments. We have a kitchen, living room with a fireplace, and bedroom which overlooks the neighborhood gardens, which, I might add, are furnished entirely by IKEA. She's a creative decorator though, the refrigerator and dishwasher have been painted silver to appear like stainless steel, and the lavendar and plum walls are incredibly cheerful.

My experiences with hotels in New York have been worse. When Mom and I came to NYC to see Man a la Macha we found a "hotel" that was painted 4 shades of pink, with patterned pink carpet, two sets of bunk beds, and one full bed, located in the garmet district. I still think it should have been booked as a hostel. When Devon and I came to visit the city our hostel had a plastic matress protector that crinkled every time we moved. And, laying down with his feet sticking out the end of the bed, his toes could touch the wall opposite the headboard.

Gerd and I were last here in November for his birthday, to see Stomp and explore. That hotel wasn't bad either, although I can't remember the name right now. It was only $160/night, convenient to Times Square, and looked like an ordinary hotel room. This one is $175/night and lovely. I'm not quitesure which one I prefer though. This one is larger (and it's got a kitchen), but it feels like I'm house sitting for a tidy college student who's away for the weekend.

My diet, of course, lasted until we arrived at Grand Central Station at 11:00 and our choices were sandwiches or starving. I'm not allowed the bread but didn't have it in me to pick the thing apart and eat it with my hands. I forgot my vitamins anyway.

So I guess I'll try to stick with some of the plan (no sugar, wheat, or dairy) but I'm not going to be upset if I can't find anything that fits the plan exactly. And, if I see a desert I want tonight I'm going for it. New York's close, but not an every day experience and I hope we find somewhere as good as last time.

No comments: