Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My computer is in pieces

This weekend my computer died. It died, but not before taking blood and stealing files.

It might have lived had I taken it to the doctor, but I went to my boyfriend instead. Maybe that's why it bit him.

It started when I was working downstairs, laptop on my knees, sitting on our couch. I saw a fatal error I'd never seen before, the equivalent of the blue screen of death. Macs don't get blue screens of death, they get a message in 5 languages asking you to shut down your computer manually.

So I complied, and it worked, but then it did it again. and again. and again.

My boyfriend's good with computers, so I thought he could tell me what was wrong. I did NOT expect him to run downstairs, swearing, holding a bleeding hand.

He took my computer apart with a knife.

Really.

A Knife.

Apparently the screws were too small for his repair kit, so he resorted to a Swiss army knife. He claims he slipped, I'm guessing the computer snapped at him.

Had he told me he was planning on opening my computer (with a knife) I would have told him we could take it to the Apple store. Not only do they have small screwdrivers, but they have re-installation disks. My disk is in New Mexico...of course.

So after I ran to the store to get butterfly closures, gauze, and iodine, he managed to get the computer open, remove half of my computer's memory (a lobotomy!) and open the operating system. I have a computer that has a black background with white code on it.

He even managed to save most of my files, except the ones that didn't transfer, but he claims he'll find the rest tonight.

Regardless, it looks like I might need a new computer. Great. Did I mention I'm out of a job in a month. Perfect timing.

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

Computers can be a bit territorial. The one I had in college hated Merl. Anytime Merl attempted to use it, something would go up in smoke. Literally. Lost 2 CD drives that way. And it gave him the silent treatment (i.e. wouldn't turn on) when he tried to install new memory for me. The computer had no trouble talking to me when I got home that day.

Sorry about your computer! And Gerd's hand! Neither sound like a lot of fun. At least he managed to save some of your files!

Bethany said...

Yeay, my computer works again, even if it does have a little less memory. More parts are on the way. I love Macs.