Thursday, May 28, 2009

I missed it.

I've been looking forward to this weekend. I'm hoping to get caught up with all my grading, clean my house, and get my clothes to the dry cleaners. Big plans.

Except a piece of me wanted to get away. On Facebook I started a map of all the places I've been and my travel bug hit me again. I thought about things I've wanted to do in the area and remembered that I really want to go to Two Buttons someday.

Two Buttons is the import store owned by Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love. One of my New Mexico friends told me about the book a while back. She said I should read it because it reminded her of me and my letters from overseas. Of course I read it, and she's right. Elizabeth Gilbert is me if I were to take a year off and go exploring. I love to travel, I love to learn languages, and I love to look for God. Okay, I don't really love to eat, but I'd love to spend a few months in an ashram.

But since I understand, and a very deep level, everything she writes about, I'd hoped to go explore her store someday. I went to look up the address...and the store's been shut down.

The building wasn't up to code, but they are planning to open someday in a new location. Who knows where I'll live by then. I am mightily disappointed that I won't be able to visit soon.

No comments: