Monday, June 1, 2009

End of the Year

For most people there are still 6 more months before New Years, but for teachers, this is the end of the year.

I stopped buying normal calendars a while back. You can get academic calendars that begin in August and end in July. I think that, even if I left teaching, the summer would still feel like the end of the year. It's when you plan your trips, relax, go at a slower pace, and then in August or September everything picks up again. I wonder if I should create my New Year's Resolutions in August?

This end of the year crept up pretty fast for me. I realized yesterday that I have only 6 more classes with my students, and 3 of those days are already accounted for, one for a final quiz on the material and two for review days for the final exam. That makes 3 days of teaching, but one of those days must be self paced. Students are MCAS testing on Thursday and Friday, and since standardized tests aren't timed, students may be late. (If you're wondering why one day of self-paced for two days of testing, I don't see my students every day, this school has a FABULOUS schedule, best I've ever seen). So I have to pretty much pull the end of the year together in the next two days.

I am in no way ready for the end of the year.

No comments: