Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Health Care

Our health care system is rotten.

I went to my annual doctor's appointment in November of last year and the poor office hasn't been paid yet. First the insurance company claimed that the visit was for a preexisting condition (yes I've been a female all my life) and then, after a few phone calls from me and the doctor's office, CIGNA wanted me to provide a certificate of credible coverage that demonstrated that I'd been covered at least 5 months previous the date of my coverage with their company. No problem, I did so, but the issue wasn't resolved.

I then went to my counselor, which I figured would be a good idea since I have PTSD that really needs to be dealt with regularly. Same issue, still unresolved.

It turns out that some employee at CIGNA stapled my certificate of credible coverage to one individual claim and failed to update the entire plan coverage information, so every claim I make remains unpaid because they have no proof that I was covered before being insured by these clowns. To which I say, why the hell do they even need to know I was covered 6 months ago? They try to weasle out of paying claims and delay the process as long as possible.

Can I resolve this, absolutely. But the more I deal with this the more I believe we need to do SOMETHING about our health care industry.

Why don't we pay for doctor's educational loans, limit malpractice to realistic values and then make "insurance" coverage a NON-PROFIT organization. Isn't there something inherantly wrong about people making money off of your health?

No comments: