Thursday, June 25, 2009

I like the guy

I like the governor who skipped town and cheated on his wife, not I'm not supporting cheating on your wife. He has such an element of humanity about him. Married 20 years, four kids, stressful job, it seems to me like he needs a hand, like he was struggling to get by.

Everyone flipped out when he didn't contact the world for 4 days. If he HAD been hiking in the Appalachians, I think that's admirable. Since he wasn't, it's not quite as likable, but also not a crisis. The legislative session is out, he's got a staff of workers, isn't the guy allowed a vacation? I will admit he should have told someone he was leaving. To me it's more evidence that he was cracking up.

We, as a country, are so interested in staying in contact, minute to minute. Unless there was some state or national emergency (which I presume he was looking into daily since he returned after reports of his disappearance surfaced) would anything really matter enough for him to address RIGHT THEN?

This guy is not a womanizer. He's "in love" with two women (if he really knows what love is). My guess is that he really was crushed when his wife didn't say" her or me" and instead made the choice for him. Otherwise I think he would have told people he was going on vacation and made sure to cover up his actions.

I hope he figures out that he really does love his wife, because I'm guessing he does. AND I hope he doesn't resign his position. Too often we focus on personal mistakes rather than on job strengths when we look at U.S. government officials. It sounds like he was doing a good job before all of this. If France's president can divorce his wife and remarry while maintaining the duties of the presidency, surely the governor can do his job too?

I'd rather have a dedicated public servant whose love life is a mess than a spotless politician who focuses primarily on keeping his reputation clean.

No comments: