Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Decompression

On a trip back from New York City I had to stop for gas.

I hate it when people don't pull through to the far side of the gas pumps, so when the huge truck that pulled in right before me stopped at the first pump, I rolled down my window and asked him if he could pull through (politely).

I hate it when people ignore me. He just went about his business, opening his gas cap, getting his wallet out of his pocket. So I asked him again, louder, and directly. As he was swiping his card, he finally replied something to the tune of, "I've already activated the gas".

I told him he was an asshole (parting shot) as I started backing up to find another pump. He got belligerent and tried to storm my car and then finally spit on the hood of my car.

I repeated (this time angrily) that he was an asshole and drove around the gas station to find a pump catercorner to his truck. The station was fairly busy and that was the only accessible one.

As I got my card out and started pumping gas he yelled over to me that I should "get the stick out of my ass" and that I was a bitch.

I told him he should be glad someone let him know he was being an asshole, explained that nice people usually make room for other drivers and don't ignore others either. He repeated his stick out of ass comments and we ignored each other from there on out.

I wish I were wittier. I could have handled the whole situation with humor and made him laugh while maybe making my point. I don't like causing conflict, and I wish I hadn't yelled, it certainly doesn't do any good anyway. And, I have to wonder, is it good to be told that I'm a bit stiff? I'd rather decompress a sticky situation than cause more problems. Was I unjust?

But somehow I always find myself reacting to what I consider "injustices". Why don't people act the way they should (I suppose I should include myself in this). It seems like a little consideration would go a long way. I for instance, could have considered the source. Here's a guy who spits on cars, what kind of standard should I expect?

2 comments:

BriteLady said...

He probably wouldn't have gotten beligerint if he hadn't recognized, on some level, that you're right. Small consolation.

I don't usually call people names to their faces, but my daughter has started to yell at rude drivers for me (luckily, my language is usually PG when the kids are in the car).

Bethany said...

I do feel bad about that. It just seems like sometimes people don't listen until you're as rude as they are. I wish I had some button that I could press and the right words would just fall out of my mouth, like a self-edit before verbalization. And I'm aware that violence begets violence, so I'd rather be peaceful. Somehow it just doesn't always work out the way I wish it could have.