Friday, July 31, 2009

Oh THATs what it feels like

Since I moved I've met friends. Mostly acquaintances really. Known people well enough not to feel completely isolated. I've gone out for drinks and movies and dinner. I've thrown parties, some of them even fairly big hits.

But there's been something lonely about Boston for me. It's harder to meet truly deep friends when you're in your 30s. I don't have a kid connection with anyone and I can't seem to regularly attend anything that would resemble a community. I really should make more of an effort there.

German Stammtisch is something I wouldn't have expected to be my normal venue, but it has been the community I haven't found elsewhere. It's the one thing I try my hardest to make every week and miss most when I can't go, and tonight explains why.

Alexis who recently returned from living in Germany decided that we should go shopping for a bed. She convinced me and another friend of hers to meet up at the Boston Bed Company and we went around testing all the mattresses. Somehow you know you've made a friend when you can have a blast buying a bed.

Very very slowly the loneliness here drips away, kind of like an ice cube in winter. But somehow I know it's getting better. In fact, I'd say I'm pretty happy.

No comments: