Friday, July 10, 2009

Mind, Body, Spirit

I've believed for a while that we're only healthy when we're working on all three, mind, body, spirit. Despite my best efforts, I haven't been doing much of that lately. Well, unless you count googling Hollywood gossip as mental stimulation.

So I joined a gym. It may not be the best fiscal decision for an unemployed teacher who just quit her fallback job, but I decided it would be worth the cost. I did save some cash, however, by joining the YMCA, which is a bit better priced than some other places near me. It's the oldest YMCA in the U.S. and has four floors of workout space along with an indoor pool.

I even signed up for 3 sessions with a personal trainer. I'm not sure yet if it will be worth it (I know how to design a fitness program for myself) but time will tell. My hope is that, by having a trainer, I'll be motivated to meet goals and make more aggressive fitness goals for myself. (Normally my goals involve just showing up at the gym and being active for a while)

Sure, this doesn't address Mind or Spirit, but I think I've got it covered (or will soon). I'm going to enroll in the Harvard Extension School for one class (open admission) and possibly do an online ESL program through Northeastern. I found out I still have two years of GI bill benefits, and I intend to use them!

Spiritual growth is probably the hardest for me right now. Gerd, a self proclaimed atheist, although with discussion is more like an agnostic, asked me yesterday what I believed happens to people when they die. It was the 5 year anniversary of his father's death. It's a hard question for me to answer.

No comments: