Thursday, July 2, 2009

New Tags

Since I'm looking at staying IN Boston instead of moving, I'm probably going to need my car back soon, at least until I find full time work that's nearby.

I should be hired as a contractor for 10 weeks and in the mean time I'm looking at non-profit jobs related to volunteer coordination or adult education. I have my fingers crossed for a position in which I would coordinate volunteers for an education based Americorp program in Dorchester. I'm trying not to hope too much because I don't want to be disappointed, and I haven't officially applied yet, but I really, really, hope I get the job. I've already got tons of ideas for volunteer training sessions.

My car, however, is a lingering problem. It's still registered in New Mexico...sort of. They yanked my registration a few months ago when I became uninsured in New Mexico. I think that's cleared up, but I can't register it in New York (where the car is currently located) without the title (which I can't find). I don't necessarily want to register it in Massachusetts either because I might just need it for 10 weeks and it'll go right back to New York again. I'd prefer not to need it ever again, but that's a little unlikely.

Then there's the more mundane decision about car registration...which state has the best plates.

New Mexico actually has the nicest plates I think, but it's not an option. Massachusetts plates are boring unless you buy the "special plates" which are okay. I would just need to decide if I want a whale tale, big fish, or lighthouse on my plates. There are some others, including a veteran's plate, but all of them are fairly lame looking. New York has about a gazillion special plates. You can get a BMW club of America plate or a plate that says you're an accupuncturist. Some of them are very specific (there's a plate for Jewish War Veterans of America). I can support a variety of causes like librarys, agriculture in education, museums, and the arts.

Who knew there were so many choices out there.

1 comment:

BriteLady said...

Hah! I've never had any choice about whether or where to register a car (having only owned 2 vehicles, and residing in one state that entire time).

I don't have many options on plates, either. I could get an alum plate from Wash U if I wanted (you have to donate to the school and have the school approve you). The last time I looked, other special ones were for other special groups that the group had to approve you. I've always just had basic ones, not even vanity plates.

At the same time, I kind of like the anonymity.

That reminds me. Must get safety & emissions inspection this week. My tags expire at the end of the month...